Sunday, February 6, 2011

Nawal El Saadawi: "I'm 80 Years Old But I'm Ready to Fight"



"They gave them bribes to beat us, to beat us here. . . . My friends here, my friends, my daughter and son, who are here among the people, who are here together, they want me to go home. I said no. I have to stay here, because . . . we have to fight back together. I'm 80 years old, but I'm ready to fight. So we shouldn't go home. . . . I demonstrated against King Farouk during the 50s. . . . We demonstrated against King Farouk, against Nasser, against Sadat, against Mubarak. I went to prison under Sadat. I lived in exile under Mubarak. But I am here, I'm 80 years old, and we're not going to submit." -- Nawal El Saadawi
Nawal El Saadawi is a leading Egyptian feminist, writer, and medical doctor. This video was released by Newsweek on 2 February 2011.

No comments:

Followers